Saturday, February 19, 2011

Nita Negrita: From an African-American Point of View

I'm an African-American that just returned from the Philippines. I had a chance to view 'Nita Negrita", and I was curious about other's reactions to the show - and I stumbled across this discussion.



First of all, I understand that the show is trying to expose some of the obstacles being faced by the afro-filipinos. What I don't get is the atrocious makeup used to accentuate the protagonist's 'blackness'. Even if they could not find a qualified actress that was half Filipino and Black (which I doubt), get it right with the look. The makeup does not even look realistic and borders on 'blackface' and caricature. I watched the show and I would not believe that the girl is the offspring of the actor that they cast as the father and mother.

I would say that my experience in the Philippines was 2 parts sweet and one part bitter. While I was there with my girlfriend and her family, we traveled to Manila, Bataan, Tagatay, and all over the Bicol region. While most Filipinos were curious where I came from and kind to me while I was there, I had my sore spots. I would get the occasional laugh and snicker when I passed by a group of people whether in a mall in Manila or a Market in the province. I am not fluent in Tagalog, but I know some terms and my girlfriend was my frequent translator. I know I am being talked about when I heard the word itim. When I would be stared or pointed at and hear the following:

"Oh my God, his skin is the color of coal." (followed by laughter)

"This is how dark they are in America."(followed by laughter)

When I would go out with my girlfriend who happened to be a Filipina, i would get mostly curious stares with a smattering of disapproving stares. For those that fell in the latter group, I would stare back only to have those individuals look away.

I understand that many Black people are not seen in the Philippines. I understand that I would stand out immediately. What hurt was that others saw me as an opportunity to mock/laugh at me because of the color of my skin.

While I was in the Philippines, I saw that many of the Whites did not have fingers pointed at them. They were not laughed at by others (from what I could see) and went about there business without a hitch.

In all honesty, I would return to the Philippines again because of the warmth of the people that I made connections with during my stay even though my bad experiences unnerved me at times.

During my stay in PH, I could not understand the entertainment industry's obsession with whiteness (the creams, the pills, skin treatments, the celebrities). I would read local entertainment magazines, and I noticed how they always wanted to accentuate the fact that a good-looking celebrity had porcelain-white skin or if they were half-white (aussie, brit, swiss, etc.). Does it matter? I was surprised to see that many of the dramas and romantics films had featured actors with very white skin and/or western features. If I did see an actor/actress of a browner hue, they were either the comedic relief or the friend/sidekick.

While I was in Manila, I happened to watch a program in which teenagers competed in dancing and singing for some type of recognition/contract. Towards the end of the competition, two boys stood out - a homegrown pinoy through and through and a half-white boy with western features and a western surname. In the competition, I thought the homegrown Pinoy was a better singer and dancer, but guess who they chose in the end?

Believe me, I have encountered racism in it's many incarnations. I lived all over the US (Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, etc.) and all over the world in Europe, Central America, South America, Africa, and Asia. Luckily, my experiences have been far and in between but an experience leaves a mark in your memory. I've experienced blatant racism and institutionalized racism. I experienced racism from whites, hispanics, asians, and even other blacks. Yes, black people can be very racist whether or not they wish to admit it - to whites, asians, and other black people. Since my parents originated from a country outside the US, many African-American students taunted me because of my darker features while I attended middle school.

In New York City, I've done some indie films and theater, and I am sometimes put off by some of the castings offered to minorities. In many of the castings offered to African-American men here, many perpetuate stereotypes. Some of the castings asked for a thug, drug dealer, rapper, basketball player, etc. Sometimes you get tired when the roll of the lawyer or doctor is never offered to you. Yes, there are castings with open ethnicity, but you would be surprised by the number of film roles offered that ask for you to play a two-dimensional stereotype.

One poster mentioned that all black people use the N-word all the time. That is not true. For those that do use it, they are heavily influenced by a rap culture that uses that word without abandon. I'm aware of America's history with slavery, and it baffles me when I see another African-American use the N-word as one of warmth and endearment considering it's derogatory meaning and past. My philosophy is that if you become enraged by a non-black person using the same term, you should not use it because you send the mixed message that it is okay for others to use. That's just me.

For Nita Negrita, the show carries the weight of a heavy message as well as mirroring the obstacles experienced by those who happen to be half black and filipino in the Philippines. So, they have to get everything right or have to suffer a constant wave of criticism. The subject matter of the show is very tricky and they should have got it right starting with casting. If they can't , they need to find a better make-up artist to make the character relatable and believable instead of a mockery.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share my point of view with everyone. Thanks.

OpuniK

The post is taken from PEX, for discussions on Nita Negrita please visit the PEX forum

11 comments:

  1. hello...

    first of all, thank you very much for thinking about the PH and Filipinos in a (generally) positive way. I don't mean to brag but yes, we are wonderful people. However, all races have their own "not-so-good" traits.

    We Filipinos have also experienced racism, ridicule, and prejudice. Whenever I hear, watch, or read about other nationalities belittling the Filipino race, I always feel bad. Sad to say, Filipinos (generally) are also racists in some degrees - even against fellow Filipinos.

    I would like to apologize, on behalf of my fellow countrymen, for the blatant racism that you have experienced here. I am an advocate of racial equality and tolerance and I strongly oppose racism and racial prejudice. Some people find it difficult to understand me, but I still continue. I only console myself with a thinking that maybe I am one of those Filipinos who are 'enlightened.' It is because the common denominator of those who are racists here is ignorance.

    people like us - people who see racial prejudice as a thing of the past (not to be forgotten but should be buried) - are needed by this world for a better place to live; as a place for all races - Caucasian, black, mongol, malay, etc. I pray for the time that the color of the skin is not anymore being seen as something prejudicial.

    - 00435 of Naga City, Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story its sad to hear abt some of your negative experiences.

    But weren't the Philippines originally inhibited by the negritos "little blacks"? It is not a homogeneous country.I have seen many Pinoys with African features and dark skin.There are parts of the Philippines that have a large negrito population Agta,Pygmies,Negritos and Aeta.Did you travel to any of these parts? I know you went to Manila or encounter afro-pinoy?

    I found a video with pictures of negritos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf0A7YqFPPs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read. I have experienced institutionalized ethno-centrism while living in the Philippines. Being from the Ilokano cultural group, my skin is naturally golden brown. I've noticed that I am much more comfortable succeeding and thriving in American culture than being around "Filipinos" who religiously watch "Filipino" channels. I will do my best to counter-balance this, because it's the right thing to do. Thanks for sharing and posting a positive article. "Nita Negrita's" producers should be doused in bleach. For a duration of the entire episode. Upside down, then flipped over during the commercials. =). We haven't learned enough, as a human society.....sad. I give the Manila culture an big "F" on their current production queue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I believed in hell, I'd say the world is going there wearing gasoline underwear because crap like this seems to never go away. People are beyond hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As i travelled the word racial discrimimation is global regardness of color or of the same color.They could be hyporite in front of you just to make you feel good,accepted,it's all covering,a make up of human in front of another.But in your back they talk about you,even people you thought it's you're love one.Be thankful that you are with your fellow human being enjoying God's creation.Focus on the moral lesson of the story not the color of the actor & actress.We have to accept of how we're created & be thankful of our existence.God bless you as you journey life,it's plus & negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am a black filipino and i say this show is just plain offensive. what's worse is everybody thinks it's okay. in fact the same tv station is doing it agian with this new show called luna blanca something. again on billboards they show the blackfaced girl always in the background (reminds me of that racist minstrel act in hollywood called "me and my shadow" where the white man is the lead singer and he is followed around by a black man).when i first heard they're doing this blackface thing again i just couldn't believe it (but then again, that station kind of specializes in anything tasteless and cheap just to rake in ratings from the unwitting zombie masses it is supposed to cater to). does thsi kind of show rake in a lot of ratings? probably because they have done this again and again. in the past they had "kirara" which if i remember correctly was about an aeta (indigenous people) again played in blackface. for some time i was teased "kirara" and when obama was elected the morons started calling me obama (the lesser evolved members of my race. i am not generalizing all filipinos). then they had "ulingling" (it's a play on "uling" which means "charcoal"). i mean it's just in your face racism and ignorance it's laughable. why do they need blackface anyway? it's because all the actors here are lily white. but then they say they are "proud" to be a filipino and that bleaching is solely to make themselves "prettier." i have been accused of being politically stiffnecked for "making a fuss" over this issue. one lesser evolved and obviously very insulated person told me it is all about beauty and there is nothing political about it. politics or not, my question is, if they're so damn proud of being filipino, why don't they think brown skin is good enough? i mean filipinos are a brown people, yes? then some would say, well, the japanese bleach their skin too and the whites tan themselves. i mean it's just circular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am married to a Filipina. Now that I live in the Philippines, all of my family is Filipino. Most are very respectful to me. A few has problems with my color, me not giving them my money and just my American attitude. Yes, we Americans do have quite an attitude compared to the rest of the world. Not that it is a bad thing, it is just that we expect to live with rules and those rules enforced by law enforcement. We also expect these things to be important outside of the law. This isn't quite the same in the Philippines.

    As far as how African Americans are treated here in the Philippines is concerned. I have lived here for over 3 years. I have been traveling here for 7 years. I am the type of person that pays close attention to details. It is clear to me that African Americans receive much more scrutiny than their white brothers and sisters. Most times it isn't a negative things. Just curiosity. Then there are those that are caught up in the whole "white is right" thing. It is sad that there are so many skin whitening products and so many that use them because they believe that light skin equals beauty and intelligence.
    I have even heard parents call their children ugly because they are dark skinned. It is very sad.

    As I was speaking of earlier, there is very little law enforced here. This will irritate any American. Probably anyone that is use to order. Most of us are taught to walk on the right side. You may find that something as small as that may stress you. It is difficult to walk and drive because this rule is not always followed. There have been a number of times I have stood as close to the wall, lets say like in a mall and people have shown anger if they are not able to squeeze between me and the wall.

    Most comments I read about this TV show and advertisement were whites upset by the lack of caring of how some would feel about the TV show "Luna Blanca". Google it.

    For those of my friends of all races, you can't put do the Ostrich thing and expect racism to go away or get better because you are not looking at it. Water on a low fire will boil whether you are looking at it or not.

    There is a educational organization in the Philippines that is trying to teach a better way of living and respect for everyone in the Philippines. Read some of their articles. Most of the articles are directed at Filipinos but it is an international company so they are written so everyone can benefit. I read their articles quite often. You can find them on fb at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=310125509083651&set=a.149636411799229.32399.100002586137448&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am married to a Filipina. Now that I live in the Philippines, all of my family is Filipino. Most are very respectful to me. A few has problems with my color, me not giving them my money and just my American attitude. Yes, we Americans do have quite an attitude compared to the rest of the world. Not that it is a bad thing, it is just that we expect to live with rules and those rules enforced by law enforcement. We also expect these things to be important outside of the law. This isn't quite the same in the Philippines.

    As far as how African Americans are treated here in the Philippines is concerned. I have lived here for over 3 years. I have been traveling here for 7 years. I am the type of person that pays close attention to details. It is clear to me that African Americans receive much more scrutiny than their white brothers and sisters. Most times it isn't a negative things. Just curiosity. Then there are those that are caught up in the whole "white is right" thing. It is sad that there are so many skin whitening products and so many that use them because they believe that light skin equals beauty and intelligence.
    I have even heard parents call their children ugly because they are dark skinned. It is very sad.

    As I was speaking of earlier, there is very little law enforced here. This will irritate any American. Probably anyone that is use to order. Most of us are taught to walk on the right side. You may find that something as small as that may stress you. It is difficult to walk and drive because this rule is not always followed. There have been a number of times I have stood as close to the wall, lets say like in a mall and people have shown anger if they are not able to squeeze between me and the wall.

    Most comments I read about this TV show and advertisement were whites upset by the lack of caring of how some would feel about the TV show "Luna Blanca". Google it.

    For those of my friends of all races, you can't put do the Ostrich thing and expect racism to go away or get better because you are not looking at it. Water on a low fire will boil whether you are looking at it or not.

    There is a educational organization in the Philippines that is trying to teach a better way of living and respect for everyone in the Philippines. Read some of their articles. Most of the articles are directed at Filipinos but it is an international company so they are written so everyone can benefit. I read their articles quite often. You can find them on fb at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=310125509083651&set=a.149636411799229.32399.100002586137448&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a educational organization in the Philippines that is trying to teach a better way of living and respect for everyone in the Philippines. Read some of our articles. Most of the articles are directed at Filipinos but we are an international company so they are written so everyone can benefit. You can find them on fb at:

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=310125509083651&set=a.149636411799229.32399.100002586137448&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the most retarded concept I've ever heard of. People r so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This kind of tv show or media presentations are destroying and poisoning the minds of our youth in the Philippines. Instead of teaching that dark or brown skin (which is dominant trait in most Filipinos) is beautiful, instead, the media potrays them as ugly, poor, and uneducated. GMA please look at your audience, they are brown people and some even darker.

    ReplyDelete